Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Start here: New Relic Customer On-Boarding Videos

on-boarding

Welcome to New Relic!

New Relic is getting to be a pretty big platform, and today it brings together quite a few product areas and features. It’s pretty common for our customers to ask: “How can I get up to speed on what New Relic is going to do for my company, if I’ve only got 30 minutes to spare?”

If that describes you, you’ve come to the right place. I’ve got a set of videos linked further down the page which can take you from “I’m still a New Relic Newbie,” to “I get it, and I’m ready to start installing New Relic agents” in very short order.

Before you jump into those, I’ve got a few things I want to show you first - just a bit of starter information that should help keep you oriented, as you go through the quick videos.

So let’s start there. What I’ll do is to build up a diagram that I find myself drawing all the time during customer onsites. I’ll start with the part that represents your company’s entire software and hardware stack. If we were to really compress and reduce those components down to this extremely simplified stack, we could quickly draw it like this:

Pretty simple, right? You run servers, those servers host your applications (and a lot of other components), and your applications are the back end that supports your front end experience (web pages, mobile apps), by doing things like responding to requests for the next page, or the next set of data in an API call, or processing batch jobs, or all the other work that your server-side web applications are doing every minute of every day.

So now let’s add the New Relic “Agents” to the picture:

The agents are very simple to install, and immediately start to monitor the performance of all of the areas of your stack. No need for heavyweight on-premise solutions with New Relic - we’ll talk about that more in the videos below.

In addition to these agents, customers can also set up Synthetic monitoring with New Relic:

Technically speaking, New Relic Synthetics isn’t an agent at all - customers don’t install it directly into their ecosystem. Rather, Synthetics makes calls into customer systems (asking for web pages, calling API endpoints) from the testing locations around the world that the customer selects per monitor. This gives customers a valuable, external perspective on their web page performance as well as their API endpoint performance.

So what you are seeing are specific product areas of our platform (“APM”, “Browser”, “Mobile” “Infrastructure”, “Synthetics” etc.) which we will be diving into with you further down below.

From there, everything else is a cloud-hosted SaaS product:

The agents immediately start collecting powerful data and securely passing it into New Relic’s cloud-hosted data pipeline. You can see the pipeline on the right, and then back over on the left side of the diagram, you see (once again very simplified for this diagram) the outputs you get back from us:

• Intuitive views of your performance data - starting with overviews, then moving on to deep dives to help you identify and locate exact problems and bottlenecks;

• Alerts, so you can quickly know when your performance drops below the levels you expect;

• Your own, custom designed, real-time dashboards, so that you can more deeply understand your performance data, and the impact of your software/hardware performance on your company’s overall business.

All clear so far? If so, then you probably have some key questions on your mind. What I’ve done for this article is to break down a good set of starter questions which a customer might ask at this point, and for each one, I’ve got a short video that walks you through the answers.

So now let’s jump into the questions - click on each one to see the short video.

1.) What kinds of performance data do the different agents collect?

2.) How do I get a quick summary of all my performance data being collected by New Relic’s agents?

3.) What’s the level of effort to install the agents? And how is this different from (and better than) other vendor solutions out there?

4.) How do I get a visual overview of my whole ecosystem?

5.) How do I start diving deep into the performance of a single application server?

6.) How do I start diving deep into the performance of my front-end webpages?

7.) How do I start getting alerts on my performance data?

8.) How do I start building custom reports on my data, and why would I do this?

9.) How do I start customizing my software performance data, so that it translates into business reporting data?

Thanks for your time reading this and watching the videos! I hope that by the end of this, you’ve got a great sense of how easy it is to start installing agents and looking at your data, just like we did in the videos above. Feel free to reach out to your Sales representative to schedule time with a Sales Engineer like myself, to dive deeper into your data!

p.s. check out the fancy new version of this post on blog.newrelic.com! https://blog.newrelic.com/2017/10/16/digital-intelligence-platform-learn-video/

New Relic On-Boarding Video: #1 Intro to Data Collection
Start Here: New Relic Certification Virtual Classroom 🎓
Best Practice Guide: New Relic APM
Best Practice Guide: APM
Best Practice Guide: Browser