New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Unable to install new relic for xampp in ubuntu os

Hi There,

I am trying new relic for the first time. I would be making the purchase if I am successful in implementing and get the desired results. I am trying to install it in a xampp server over an ubuntu OS. I keep getting the following error "We searched and searched and couldn’t find any complete enough PHP
installs. You may well have PHP installed on your system but are lacking
either the command line version or the php-config program that should
accompany each PHP install. Sometimes, these require that you install
the “dev” package for PHP or the “cli” version. We need one or the
other.

Please visit http://newrelic.com/docs/php and review the
installation documentation for ways in which you can customize this
script to look for PHP in non-standard locations or to do a manual
install."

Kindly help me out with this situation so that I may be able to complete my installation and check for results.

Hello @rahul18, since we are unable to detect the installation of PHP within your environment, you can try the manual installation of the agent. The manual installation will generate CLI commands specific for your environment. The steps of the process are outlined below:

1. Download the manual installation script [ZIP|5 KB].
  2. Extract the nrmaninstall.php file to your document root. This will make it visible in a browser.
  3. Run the script by accessing that file in your browser at URL/nrmaninstall.php (for example: http://localhost/nrmaninstall.php ).
  4. Copy and paste the custom instructions for your environment into your command line shell.
  5. Reload the nrmaninstall.php page in your browser to check for a successful installation.

Please let us know if this helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks worked like a charm…
But I am unable to see the data on my dashboard. The following is the data from my log file:

2019-09-13 09:42:06.482 +0000 (15037 15037) info: New Relic 9.1.0.246 (“heliotrope” - “c095b8eafcd9”) [daemon=’/tmp/.newrelic.sock’ php=‘5.6.20’ zts=no sapi=‘cli’ pid=15037 ppid=15031 uid=0 euid=0 gid=0 egid=0 backtrace=yes startup=agent os=‘Linux’ rel=‘4.4.0-142-generic’ mach=‘x86_64’ ver=’#168-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 16 21’ node=‘localhost’]
2019-09-13 09:42:06.482 +0000 (15037 15037) warning: A global default license has not been set or has invalid format. Please add a ‘newrelic.license’ key in the global php.ini or in the newrelic.ini file, or ensure that a valid license is provided on a per-virtual host or per-directory basis.
2019-09-13 09:42:11.009 +0000 (15099 15099) info: New Relic 9.1.0.246 (“heliotrope” - “c095b8eafcd9”) [daemon=’/tmp/.newrelic.sock’ php=‘5.6.20’ zts=no sapi=‘apache2handler’ apache=‘2.4.18’ mpm=prefork pid=15099 ppid=1 uid=0 euid=0 gid=0 egid=0 backtrace=yes startup=agent os=‘Linux’ rel=‘4.4.0-142-generic’ mach=‘x86_64’ ver=’#168-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 16 21’ node=‘localhost’]
2019-09-13 09:42:11.009 +0000 (15099 15099) warning: A global default license has not been set or has invalid format. Please add a ‘newrelic.license’ key in the global php.ini or in the newrelic.ini file, or ensure that a valid license is provided on a per-virtual host or per-directory basis.

Hello @rahul18, I’m happy to hear that! :smiley:

To resolve the license key issue, you’ll need to add your license key to the newrelic.ini that is being read by the PHP agent. The setting you’ll need to change is below:

newrelic.license = "YOUR LICENSE KEY"

You can find the newrelic.ini by creating a phpinfo page and accessing it in your web browser. Within the Additional .ini files section, you will see the location of the newrelic.ini file you’ll need to edit.

I hope that helps! :slight_smile: Please let us know if you have any questions in relation to this.

Hey thanks for your prompt response. Actually I could not find the newrelic.ini file. Could you please help me locate it. Please note that I am using XAMPP server on ubuntu 16.04 lts.

![13-19_14_46|690x342]

Never mind thanks I got it… Appreciate your help very much.

Awesome! I will note that after updating the newrelic.ini, you’ll need to restart your PHP handler for the agent to pick up the change. :slight_smile: