“Wait for text” steps in the Selenium IDE script are omitted from the exported .js file

That’s very unfortunate. I’m certainly not going to give any updates, I’m not a Chrome extension developer and doubt it’s something I will ever do. But it’s quite disturbing to hear yet another example of how New Relic fails to support the most important parts of what should be its platform, and just throws them out there as-is. NR focuses so much on adding things of limited value to its web site, and so little time and attention to the core necessities of monitoring - such as enabling people to write synthetics that can actually indicate whether services are working. My confidence in NR continues to plunge based on learning that this extension is unsupported and nobody is working on it. I think NR fails to understand what really matters, and puts so much effort towards things that matter much less, and it’s really dispiriting.

Have you tried the new step monitor type? This is the New Relic-supported method for creating Synthetics scripts without writing code.

Thank for pointing that out. I missed the existence of “step monitors” because instead of being another option in the “User flow / functionality” box, step monitor is in its own separate box labelled “User step execution”. Since I want to write a prober for a user flow, there was nothing indicating I should pay attention to that other box. Also, the only description is “Zero code monitor building”, which is vague and almost meaningless - many of the other options for creating a “monitor” are also zero code: ping monitor, page load performance, ssl cert expiration, etc.

To make it so that people who write synthetics will actually notice the step builder, you need to move it into the same box, under “User flow / functionality”, and have two different links there, one for code and the other for step builder.

Now that you’ve told me about it, though, I did look at it, and I’m puzzled about what you think the value of it is.

With Selenium IDE, I seamlessly record a session as I navigate in a browser. Then I export it to code, which I can put in terraform or paste into the synthetic creation UI, but I didn’t have to actually write that code. I can, however, modify it, which gives added flexibility and the ability to troubleshoot.

With the step builder, on the other hand, I have to tediously write steps one by one by hand, without even having a browser following along. So practically speaking, I have to open a browser separately, and for each step that I do on the browser, manually create an equivalent step in the step builder. Which also means I have to explicitly look up the item selectors myself at each step (using inspect in the browser) and copy them over, and it’s much easier to get it wrong. I also don’t get any feedback until I validate, so I don’t even know if I made one step wrong until I’ve written a bunch of other steps and then try to validate.

Overall, this seems like a much harder and more tedious process, compared to recording in Selenium IDE and exporting to .js.

I may be missing something here, and I did not see very extensive documentation of the step builder. Maybe there are easier ways to use it? Maybe it has some more powerful capabilities? Maybe it’s very new and you were planning on releasing a recording feature to write the steps with, but it’s not quite ready yet? I’m interested to know what you think the value of this is and how it may help?

OK, you prefer Selenium IDE, except for the fact that it is not supported by New Relic. I offered an alternative that is supported by New Relic. That is all. I am not suggesting that it is better than or even equivalent to a script recorder; it is simply a supported method to generate browser scripts without having to write them by hand.

I am not on the product team; I have no influence over which products or features the team chooses to release. All I can do is help customers make the best use of the products and features as they exist.

Thanks. I think what you’re saying is that the step builder’s main advantage is that NR supports it if it fails, though it has a lot of very large disadvantages to counterbalance that (more opaque and much harder to use). But I will spend the time to try to reconstruct some of my scripts using the step builder so that support may answer questions about them :frowning: