What is the Telemetry Data Platform?
The Telemetry Data Platform lets you analyze, visualize, and alert on all your metrics, events, logs, and traces from any source with the world’s most powerful, managed, open, and unified telemetry database. Out-of-the-box integrations for open source tools and best-in-class New Relic agents enable easy setup, eliminating the cost and complexities of hosting, operating, and managing additional monitoring systems or data stores, so you can correlate data to understand context and resolve issues quickly, all in one place.
What New Relic One platform features are accessible with just the Telemetry Data Platform subscription?
- Data ingest: Metrics, events, logs, and traces from any source (New Relic agents, open source software, and in-house tools)
- Data management
- Data analysis
- Analysis and visualizations
- Data Explorer
- Chart Builder
- Native support for Grafana dashboards
- Query languages
- New Relic Query Language (NRQL)
- PromQL-like syntax within the New Relic UI
- Analysis and visualizations
- Integrations: 300+ integrations to third party platforms and systems, including turnkey solutions for popular open source software telemetry sources and visualization tools, such as Prometheus and Grafana
- Apps: Build custom apps using New Relic’s Programmability capabilities
What data types can you ingest into Telemetry Data Platform?
The Telemetry Data Platform supports ingestion of all data types that are required for observability: Metrics, events, logs, and traces. By combining all these data types in New Relic’s open and unified telemetry database, you get a complete view of your technology stack, enabling you to identify, understand, and resolve the issues that impact your business.
How do I ingest third-party data into the Telemetry Data Platform?
New Relic provides three ways to ingest third-party data:
- Integrations: Over 300 integrations for popular open-source and third-party monitoring tools, distributed tracing tools, service meshes, proxies, and open-source logging tools.
- SDKs: Open source sets of API client libraries that send metrics and trace data to the New Relic platform using language wrappers without requiring installation of an agent.
- APIs: Send telemetry directly to our Metric API, Event API, Log API, and Trace API.
What sources of telemetry can you ingest into the Telemetry Data Platform?
You can ingest telemetry data (metrics, events, logs, and traces) from any source, be it New Relic agents, open source solutions, or your own in-house tools. For example, Telemetry Data Platform can ingest metrics from Prometheus servers using the remote write interface. This allows customers to consolidate otherwise siloed data in various Prometheus servers to one place (New Relic). This data can be visualized and queried using NRQL or our PromQL-style syntax in New Relic One. Additionally, you can visualize Prometheus metrics directly in Grafana with Telemetry Data Platform as the prometheus datasource.
What are the retention rates for the various data types?
Default retention varies by product and by data type:
APM, Browser, Mobile
- 8 days for events (Transactions, Errors, PageView, JSError, etc.)
- 8 days for native resolution (1-minute) Metrics*
- 90 days for roll-up (1-hour) Metrics*
- 8 days for native resolution (sub-minute)*
- 30 days for roll-up (1-minute)*
- 13 months for roll-up (10-minute)*
- 8 days for Spans
Metrics API, Events to Metrics
- 30 days for native resolution (sub-minute)*
- 13 months for roll-up (1-minute)
- 30 days for log lines
*=> Retention rates for these data types may not be able to be extended. Please work with your account teams for more details
How do I visualize the data that is ingested into the Telemetry Data Platform?
You can visualize the data ingested into the Telemetry Data Platform in New Relic dashboards or by connecting Telemetry Data Platform to Grafana dashboards. Telemetry Data Platform allows for inputting PromQL syntax, which is translated into NRQL, to query your data and render charts.