Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

When monitoring an application on a container, does bundle install be necessary?

rails
container
kubernetes

Hi,

I am running the Rails application on the container of Kubernates.
I set APM monitoring for this application as following site.
https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/ruby-agent/installation/install-new-relic-ruby-agent

However, instead of installing it to the host OS with the ‘bundle install’ command, gem was installed in the folder under the project with the ‘bundle install --path vendor/bundle’ command.
However, I could not see the application on the APM web UI.

So, as it is a question, when using a container, does APM Agent(newrelic_rpm gem) need to be installed on the host OS with the “bundle install” command?

Gem and other Details
Ruby 2.5.1
Rails 5.2.1
newrelic_rpm 5.5.0.348

newrelic_agent.log

INFO : Doing deferred dependency-detection before Rack startup
ERROR : Error establishing connection with New Relic Service at collector.newrelic.com:0:
ERROR : NewRelic::Agent::ServerConnectionException: Recoverable error talking to collector.newrelic.com:0 after 2 attempts: execution expired
INFO : Will re-attempt in 60 seconds
ERROR : Error establishing connection with New Relic Service at collector.newrelic.com:0:
ERROR : NewRelic::Agent::ServerConnectionException: Recoverable error talking to collector.newrelic.com:0 after 2 attempts: execution expired
INFO : Will re-attempt in 120 seconds

Sincerely

I created ticket to ask for support, but if anyone falls into the same situation, please tell me how to solve the problem.

Hi, @takahashi-hiroya: In order to connect to New Relic, the APM agent must be able to reach the Internet on port 443. Have you published this port from your container(s) to the host machine?

Hi, @philweber : Thank you for your reply.
I checked configuration kind of Deployment, it is wrote ‘containerPort: 443’.
Am I missing the setting? :disappointed_relieved:

‘bundle install’ command is no need, so I will resolve this topic.
But, there is occur new issue. I create other topic.
Thank you.