New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Actions on Alerts

new-alerts

Can New Relic perform actions based on certain conditions?

Trigger an action when a New Relic Alert is fired?

Hi, @neha.bansal: I’m inclined to say no: New Relic doesn’t typically “perform actions”, it primarily records performance metrics and other data.

You can, however, set up a webhook to allow New Relic to notify an external system when certain conditions exist; you may be able to use that mechanism to trigger an action.

You may also use New Relic Synthetics to automate a web browser to perform specific actions on a schedule.

Can you be more specific about what actions you would like to perform?

Hi philweber,

Thanks for answering my question. I was wondering If I could restart an IIS server in case of any opened incidents…

I don’t know of any way that New Relic can restart IIS by itself. You would have to set up a webhook to notify some other tool to perform the restart. You might try something like this: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Simple-REST-api-for-b04489f1

Thanks…

can we automatically close the violations after performing the actions on those alerts. ?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like our REST API supports closing incidents programmatically.

Thanks… Can we call a remote application or hook up our application to get notified whenever a specific incident happens.?

That depends on the application you want to notify. New Relic Alerts can post to any publicly-accessible REST endpoint; what you do with that notification is up to you.

Thanks…

One more follow up question… If I create an web application that has an publicly accessible url. Can I give that url in Webhook as a base url to handle my alert notification?

Potentially, yes, if your web application accepts POST requests of JSON or HTML form data.

How does the new relic use “basic auth” been provided while notifying through the Webhook ?How can we use basic auth credentials in our application to verify if the alert is been send by the authenticated user only,?

Hi @practice_newrelic - You can create a user specific for this webhook that is allowed to post to your application. You will then add the username and password to the webhook configuration on the New Relic side.

How these credentials are authenticated through the application, is really dependent on your environment.