New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Add Default Policy for Server monitoring automatically

alerts-beta
legacy-alerts

Hello,

When I installed NewRelic agent on new servers, the NewRelic didn’t apply any policy for these servers.

How can configure the NewRelic add Default Policy ( CPU, Memory, Full Disk , IO ) automatically ?

Regards,
Khoa Nguyen

Feature Ideas: Server Monitoring Alerts by Default
Server monitoring alerts on by default

Default policies for the alerts beta is currently disabled. If you have a really dynamic environment you can script adding new targets to policies via the REST API but we don’t have any examples available because of the varied nature of people’s environments.

The API explorer is a great place to start if you’re interested in
https://rpm.newrelic.com/api/explore

@parrott : Thank you for your response. So we don’t have any way to add “default policy” currently ? We need go to Alerts and add Policy manually ?

Currently there is no way to add a default policy, correct. You can use the UI or the API to create policies or add conditions and targets. We have a lot of people who have had a lot of success scripting assigning targets to policy conditions via the API

Hi @parrott ,

I could like to edit the server policy on my account but i am getting edit option anywhere on UI. Can you please point me to the right direction?

Thanks
Parames

This is from our legacy alerting system and any changes you make will be saved as you make them @ParameswaranK. You’ll see little green check marks pop up as a confirmation. You can further convince yourself of this by making changes, logging out, and back in to see them persisting.

Let me know if you have troubles!

Thanks for the reply @parrott but still i could not find a way to edit default Server Policy. Maybe i am missing something simple. I need to edit Memory warning limit to 90% and Critical limit to 95%. So can you please point me what i am missing?

can you give me a link to the server policies for your account, please? I’ll see if anything looks odd or if I can duplicate the behavior

Do i need to post the link in this post or i need to send in a private message?

You can do either, really. No one outside of users on your account or NR staff will be able to see your account though so it is safe to post here

Thanks @parrott, here is the link for it https://rpm.newrelic.com/accounts/288869/server_alert_policies
Let me know your findings.

I was able to edit the policy without issue. What happens when you move the sliders? Do they not move? Do they not stay where you put them? Any further description might be helpful. If I can’t learn anything from that I’ll file a ticket on your behalf and see if we can setup some time to do a screen share.

Yes @parrott i was not able to move the sliders and i am trying on Chrome Browser on a Macbook Pro. Let me try on different browsers and let you know.

I tried on other browsers too but still i could not move the slider. I think i might be missing something simple.

@parrott i just made a small screencast about this.

I have created a ticket for you so that we can work on this. Keep an eye out for my email!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but 5 months later and default policies still are not applied to new servers?

I know I can easily to that with a few lines of script, but since we had that with the old alert system, it’s sad to do this kind of “workaround”.

Thanks for letting us know about your need for this integration feature @fernando.cabral . You are right, it is a popular feature request! I am really glad you are making your needs known—all helpful input helps the product managers here prioritize.

Has anyone tried manually creating an alert policy with conditions for a given resource type: APM, Infrastructure, Synthetics, etc, and then use the API to download the policy/conditions and insert with a different resourceId of the same type?

For APM and Infrastructure, I recommend creating alert conditions that target metadata, rather than a specific application or host name.

For example, you can create a label called Policy: Default and assign it to the desired applications:

(In addition to assigning labels in the UI, you may also specify them in your application’s config file, or add them via the REST API.)

Then when you are specifying the targets for your alert condition, you may select a label rather than individual applications:

That alert condition will apply to all applications with a label of Policy: Default, now or in the future.

Similarly, you may target Infrastructure conditions at a filter set, rather than individual host names.