Average fn not working when data is present...sometimes

I have 2 react-native apps, both sending data to new relic (using the same code)
I am trying to show the average page load time for each app. When I query for just the duration, the data shows (for both)
Android:
SELECT duration FROM TimeForHomePageToLoad WHERE appName = 'app-android' since 7 days ago

iOS:
SELECT duration FROM TimeForHomePageToLoad WHERE appName = 'app-ios' since 7 days ago

When I use the average function, the ios data works fine but the android data shows No value
Android:
SELECT average(duration)/1000 FROM TimeForHomePageToLoad WHERE appName = 'app-android' since 7 days ago

iOS:
SELECT average(duration) FROM TimeForHomePageToLoad WHERE appName = 'app-ios' since 7 days ago

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Android:

iOS:

Hey @ken.kotch

Can you please send me your account number so I can take a closer look at the data/behavior?

Thank you, I sent through private message

1 Like

Hey @techops23

After looking through the JSON data returned for both platforms, I think I may have found the issue. It looks like Android is returning duration as a string, so NRQL is unable to perform the average function and returning null.

iOS looks to be reporting duration as an integer, so average can be calculated.

SELECT * FROM TimeForHomePageToLoad SINCE 1 day ago

Android: "duration": "14716",

iOS: "duration": 6184,

Changing how you are capturing these values for Android should resolve this issue.

Thank you for looking into that for us. I’ll make that change and let you know if it helps.
Best,
Ken

I checked the javascript (as we are using React-native). The android value is sent to the native new relic library as an int so as a workaround I changed the query to coerce the string to an int
average(numeric(duration))/1000
This seems to work

3 Likes

Thanks for keeping us informed @techops23! Glad to hear this got resolved!