New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

AWS Billing Costs Dashboard - show account name and not just ID

billing
aws

Hi There

I have been going through everything around the AWS integration and getting info from billing. In the costs default dashbaords there is Estimated charges per account which shows estimated maximum charges from the Finance Sample faceted on provider.accountId so when you look at the graph all you see are the ID’s of the accounts in your organisation.

The integration is integrated with our Root account in AWS and the Account Id’s shown in the graph do match up with the accounts in the organisation. What I can’t figure out for the life of me is to show the Account Name instead of the id.

Im sure there is something small that I have missed but I have spent hours going through the webinar stuff, forum posts and yeah can’t for the life of me get this sorted.

I have attached example images one with account numbers and one with names

dd573f08-d208-4b69-bf9a-fc6a17dd20f0 dd573f08-d208-4b69-bf9a-fc6a17dd20f0-2

Hi @james.ashworth1 - If you view the query for the dashboard you will see the event that is used. By running the query below, you will get a list of the attributes from the event. You may discover that the account name is one of the attributes.

You may also find that it is necessary to replicate the dashboard as the dashboards created by the Integration are not editable by us.

SELECT Keyset() FROM [Event Name]

(DISCLAIMER: see next reply)

Hello @james.ashworth1,

I think you’re looking for the providerAccountName metadata. Can you try if this query would work for you?

SELECT latest(`provider.estimatedCharges.Maximum`) from FinanceSample where provider=‘BillingAccountCost’ since 1 day ago facet providerAccountName

An you could even have both metadata with a double facet: the AWS account ID, and the account name you defined when you linked the AWS account to New Relic:

SELECT latest(`provider.estimatedCharges.Maximum`) from FinanceSample where provider=‘BillingAccountCost’ since 1 day ago facet providerExternalId,providerAccountName

Regards,

Helena Pujol
Product Manager, New Relic, Cloud Integrations

Oh, no, @james.ashworth1. @rdouglas just made me realize my reply is not at all useful for your case, as you tried to get the names of the subaccounts. Unfortunately, we’re not getting that metadata.

I’ll register a feature request on your behalf and let you know if we can add this metadata in the Finance Sample at some point.

Regards,

Helena Pujol
Product Manager, New Relic, Cloud Integrations

Thanks @hpujol thought that might be the case as I looked at every attribute and even in the data explorer and couldn’t find anything for subaccount name. Hopefully it won’t be long till its taken in and the feature is added as it makes sense to show the name apposed to an ID as the ID wouldn’t mean anything to other departments that might be using that kind of data i.e. here at Butterfly our account managers might use it to keep track of clients accounts.

Ill try sort something out using budgets for now.