Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Finer grained aggregations for Service Maps?

apm
service_maps
feature-idea

I have a single Rails app that’s serving around 400 different actions, which altogether call about 30 different external services. The thing is, between those 400 actions, there’s really about 25-50 distinct features that each only call 1-5 of those services.

Is there a way I can split the app in NewRelic into smaller feature groups so I could get a better sense of the runtime dependencies of each feature group (so that they can be extracted and migrated)?

From what I can tell, the app name is set globally in the YAML file. I’m not seeing a place to change it in the API. I see how to apply multiple names to the app, but that’s not really what I’m looking for.

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @aobrien - I can think of 2 potential ways to enable you to filter the data on a per feature basis. The first would be to add a custom attribute so that event data could be broken down by the feature.

The second would be to redesign your current application so that each feature set is its own standalone application. You could then use the multiple application naming convention, by having the overall app name in each feature application’s config file. That would then enable you to view the overall app information in APM and break down into the feature set application information.

I’m afraid Option 2 is easier said than done, and is one of the main motivating factors in wanting to do this! (I.e., I’m trying to figure out a feature’s runtime dependencies, so that I can plan how to break it out.)

For Option 1: Is there a way to filter a Service Map by the custom attributes?

Also, I was looking into whether or not I could make each feature a different Browser application in the hope that even though it’ll go through the same web app, maybe it would in some way filter the external calls. But it appears that that’s also controlled by the apps’ agent configurations.

The Service Map cannot be filtered. However you can use the Transaction tripid attribute to work out the dependencies by querying the data. The custom attribute that you add will show the dependencies from an initial transaction call.

Thanks for helping here Stefan!

@aobrien - let us know if you need any further assistance :smiley:

Glad to help. The ability to filter Service Maps would be a useful feature. For example, I have one service map which displays all of our New Relic apps. I would appreciate the ability to select an application node and have the map filter based on that service. All the charts could display the number of calls and response times, etc for the transactions initiated from the service selected. If the links between nodes also changed colour to indicate the downstream dependencies of that node would be useful for identifying potential scaling or architectural improvements :slight_smile:

Understood! That’s a nice use case for me to file into a feature idea for you :smiley: I can convert this post into a Feature Idea Poll for you to vote on too.