Your data. Anywhere you go.

New Relic for iOS or Android

Download on the App Store    Android App on Google play

New Relic Insights App for iOS

Download on the App Store

Learn more

Close icon

Feature Idea: Why do you need admin API key for the Insights Dashboard API?

feature-request
dashboard
insights
api
feature-idea

Currently, you need an Admin user API key in order to use the Insights Dashboard API. However, from the Insights website you don’t need to be an admin user in order to perform any of the actions (show, list, create, update, delete) - why should the API be any different? Why can’t we use normal insights API keys?

Thanks

New Relic Edit

• I want this too
  • I have more info to share (reply below)
  • I have a solution for this

0 voters

We take feature ideas seriously and our product managers review every one when plotting their roadmaps. However, there is no guarantee this feature will be implemented. This post ensures the idea is put on the table and discussed though. So please vote and share your extra details with our team.

Hi @george.webb - The reason for an Admin Key for the API is probably due to the delete action. It appears to be a standard on all New Relic API’s which have a delete action.

Thanks for the prompt reply Stefan.

Understandable, but frustrating. Would be excellent if New Relic could restrict actions based on the key rather than the entire API.

Thanks

That sounds like a feature request @RyanVeitch :wink:

It sure does - thanks @stefan_garnham

@george.webb - I’ll go ahead and file a feature request internally for you, for permission granularity per key, rather than by API functionality. :smiley:

Thanks @stefan_garnham and @RyanVeitch - much appreciated

No problem @george.webb - Let us know if there’s anything else we can help with. :smiley: