Geo data in PageView

I’m trying to better understand where the data in PageView for ASN/Long/lat/Country comes from?

I am seeing entries for countries that should be blocked.

Is all the data generated from the IP address?
What happens for users that are on an internal network?

Hi, @MarkRichards: Yes, location data is derived from the user’s IP address, using a third-party geolocation database. IP geolocation is an inexact science; sometimes, for example, IP addresses are reused by a different ISP before the database is updated, so the database may return an incorrect location.

Internal IPs will obviously not be in the database. If those users access the Internet via NAT, the NAT IP address will be used to geolocate them.

1 Like

Thanks @philweber, good point about the NAT.

Is there a way to tie back a particular PageView record to the IP address that was submitted? (or indeed other data in NR such as Transaction data? )

New Relic does not retain IP addresses by default. You would have to record the IP address as a custom attribute.

OK, we have them somewhere else, was just trying to join them.

Thanks

If you have the IP address as part of the Transaction, you can configure the APM agent to forward custom attributes to the PageView. Which APM agent are you using?

Transaction does not have it either (I’ve mostly resolved the issue with Splunk data for now).
Still curious how we could tie together Browser PageView to APM Transactions.
This app is dotnet

Hey there @MarkRichards! It looks like @philweber was able to provide a lot of great info here, thank you!

Is your browser application being instrumented via an APM agent’s auto-inject method, in this case .NET?

The name attribute on PageView would link back to the invoked web transaction. I took a look at one of your browser applications and pulled one name value and was able to link back to the Transaction data. I’m not sure if this entirely what you’re looking for, but keep us posted!

SELECT * FROM Transaction WHERE name = ‘WebTransaction/ASP/benefits/maintain/inbox/inbox.aspx’ since 1 week ago

Thanks,

Yes we are doing .NET auto inject, and I can see the transaction and I figured it mapper to the Name for Browser.

I was just trying to map particular sessions between browser and Transaction data.

I’ve moved on from this particular issue so it’s a back burner for me now.

The question was how I tie in PageView entries to a Transaction. I can match based on Transaction Name, but I have loads of users accessing the same pages. i.e. I can’t map a PageView Session to to something in Transaction .

@MarkRichards Ah, thanks for the response here! And I totally understand that this is on the back burner right now for you.

Ideally, you’d like something like a session attribute on Transaction data so you can map unique end users, correct? Or, perhaps something similar to JavaScript Error data where you can filter custom attributes set up to include user information and tie it back to an error, though using filters for transaction data instead.

I’m happy to reach out to our forum moderators to add a feature request poll for this. Thanks!