Is new Relic have integration with HP Loadruuner or Webload load testing tools?

Hi,

I am trying to figure if there is an option to get some monitors about transactions that were send from load tool such loadrunner (HP) or Webload (RadView) ?
I am familair with some other profiling tools such Willy / AppDynamic / Dynatrace etc … and there are an option to get specific transactions with all measurments needed (ofcourse it depends on the instrumantation ) .
It will really helps to know when deciding which profiling tool to choose that will be intgrated with other tools we r using

Thanks

Hi @arikh

Would you be able to clarify what detail you are trying to get?

A load generating tool, will make requests of a page and our language agents will track any requests of PHP, Ruby, Python etc for example.

Are you looking to identify the transactions that are from a load tool? If so, is it possible to pass any parameters from the load tool to your urls under load or perhaps use a unique agent header you can grab on the server side? If so you can use New Relic API function calls to tag transactions with specific load or even rename the transaction if you desired.

So under option A. tagging that it’s a load tool calling the transaction wouldn’t be visible in the New Relic UI except in Transaction Traces and as additional query-able data in Insights.

On the flip side, if you change the name of a transaction you can tell which transaction are load transactions visibly in the UI because of the modified name. What this would lead to however is double the transaction names for the transactions executed as you would then be tracking each unique name of transaction as a standard request and a under load tool request.

Let me know what you’re hoping to track or how you would expect/like to see such in the UI and I can try clarify on the above for you.

Hi,

it’s just been familair with meaning of names in each tool.I will try elaborate a little what i mean.
On some load tools there is an option to collect some activities (request, pages etc…) to be be call one transaction so once u run load test u can get response time of specific activity.

Once u need to check why the transaction (that can include some classes/methad or request/pages) us high than in the profiling tool (such dynatrace/HP diagnstic …) u have the transaction name that include all activity below it and i can see all behavier of each hit (method , SQL etc…)
So in case there is such option or there is an option to add such process it will simplify having new relic with some load tools.

Thanks

I apologize if we’re missing something, I’m still trying to get exactly what functionality you’re asking for.

It sounds like what you’re asking for is exactly what New Relic does. You can see a transaction that is either long running or very frequent and see a trace of the transaction that might include SQL, external calls etc and how long each of those pieces took so that you can find out how to make your app more efficient. Is that all you’re asking for?

Please help us understand your request so that we can provide you with the best possible answer

Basically what we are looking for in NewRelic is dynatrace has an integration with Loadrunner scripts wherein dynatrace pumps in a script into LR scripts thru which we can directly track all the loadrunner transactions thru their names under dynatrace WebReuests dashboard.

@SJhamb

OK so with New Relic it wouldn’t really occur in such a manner, there isn’t a LoadRunner script to load in and name transactions in this fashion. Our agents are installed Server Side and anything done to track the difference must be done server side.

Perhaps you’ve got some determining aspect of a request that would identify it as a LoadRunner request. Perhaps a user/agent or IP address, I’m not familiar with the tool so I’m hoping this might make sense for you.

You can then use the newrelic agent to either give a custom name to a transaction or apply a custom attribute to a transaction trace so that it’s visible that it’s a LoadRunner transaction.

The naming option of in the code (pseudo code example)

If (userAgent == "LoadRunner")
{
// use a relevant API naming function of the relevant agent
newrelic_name_transaction("Transaction Name/Loadrunner")
or perhaps
newrelic_name_transaction("Loadrunner/TransactionName")
}

Where TransactionName is some useful logic you are using to give it a useful name alongside appending/prepending the LoadRunner aspect.

The other option is the custom attribute, which won’t be visible and all the Non LoadRunner requests will be grouped with the LoadRunner request as they will all have the same transaction name.

If (userAgent == "LoadRunner")
{
// use a relevant API addition of custom attributes
newrelic_custom_parameter("Is_Load_Runner", "Yes")
}

However in a Transaction trace for a slow run, there would be an attribute you define (using a key/value pair) showing that would identify it was LoadRunner. You could also query New Relic Insights for the key = value where only LoadRunner Transactions from Insights would show. Then you can easily graph and attack the information in Insights.

Right now they are the best options I can think of as nothing exists right now that does any kind of special integration between New Relic and LoadRunner. I hope that’s in some way useful to you.

Referring to the same subject as I thought with the new releases of New Relic there might be a provision for the question asked.
Repeating the question : the other Monitoring tools like App Dynamics or Dynatrace has provision to integrate the monitoring tool with Load Runner Vugen Script (Script Development one) so that they display the transaction names exactly what has given in the Load runner Vugen Script and then allows us to go deep dive analysis.

For this in those tools, they allow some thing like a tool bar option or Plug-in which will select the Vugen script and adds the headers before every transaction. And by this it tracks the Page request by Load Runner transaction name and integrates the analysis.
Also some other tools like Splunk, allows to add custom headers before transactions to get response times of the transactions and can display live with even graphical format.
Just wanted to know if there is any provision like this in New Relic.
the Above solution provided has identifying the agent as Load Runner but it seems there no way to understand the transaction names given for the Page submits that were given by Load Runner script developer.

@durganagasaipraveen Totally understand, there isn’t a specific integration I can point to at this time, but the above example I gave is based on detecting some key point of data to detect that it’s load runner.

Well if you’ve detected that indeed it is loadrunner and that tool is sending over some custom information as headers. Your app should be able to pull in that header information. If you can grab the header information, and it contains some key information for accurately naming transactions. Then you can use the newrelic_name_transaction() function (in the PHP agent) or an equivelent API call for an agent you are using.

So without a plugin or integration , you can definitely manage to do this yourself no problem, it just would require identifying what key information LoadRunner is sending that you can use and then you can tag it as an attribute or name the transaction after it, the choice is yours. It also puts the power back in your hands, rather than a plugin dictating for you, it’s giving full configurationality in your hands, at the cost of a small line or two of code pulling out the key information you choose.

I’m not a LoadRunner expert by any stretch of the imagination, so if I’m missing something obvious, it’s because I’m not a user of that specific product, but if I’ve missed any options, let me know and we can deal with a specific scenario. I love creative solutions to these things so lets see what we can figure out for you.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you for your information. but I would like to explore more on this. Is it possible to set up some call on this.

Thank you for the information.

A Load Runner / Jmeter Trasaction name is an action performed by a User (it is mostly a page submission or some time navigating through pages). So Basically a Single Load runner/Jmeter transaction contains one or more pages of the application. As since the New Relic monitors and gives Server side metrics of various pages, we would like to link them to our tool transactions with those so that we can correlate our response times vs individual pages response times. With your example above, if I give the New relic transaction name as one of my Load runner transaction name, then how would that integrates with the application pages that are displayed in new relic. If we can add those tow entities, our issue was resolved. 

Can you please explain a little more on this please.

@saipraveen.revuru - The specifics of your implementation is going to depend on your environment and the specifics that you are looking for. Honestly I’d probably recommend adding a custom attribute to the Transactions of the Load Runner test name so you could set up some Insights dashboards to look just at the data from your load testing tools vs normal traffic or even push in the stats from load running directly to Insights as well so you can look/compare the data from the APM agent vs the load runner tests themselves.

If you’re looking for a call, I’d recommend starting with contacting your New Relic account rep and they should be able to help you out.

1 Like

Hi ,
Saw your reply and wanted to clarify if we have added headers defining transaction names in load testing tool script and able to see those transactions in new relic but now in custom instrumentation, the transaction name is changed to something else keeping it unaltered in the tool script. Now I am not able to see the tool transaction name in new relic but what is defined in the custom instrumentation . So is there any probability that the tool script transaction name is overwritten by what is defined in custom instrumentation or we should see double names for the same call in new relic

If you are naming your transactions and they are getting overwritten, there may be something in the order of precedence taking priority.

(See the order of precedence for the PHP agent at this doc: https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/agents/php-agent/configuration/php-agent-configuration#config-options-precedence)

If not, then I would like to get you into a ticket to confirm with our experts on what is going on to overwrite your transaction names.

Sure Ryan… Will update the ticket with more details.Thanks

1 Like

Do let us know how it goes :smiley: