New User - Cannot get push notifications working on iPhone?

I am a new user and cannot get the Push Notifications to work. I have setup a Synthetics “Simple Browser” test. The monitor seems to be working fine. I have enabled push notifications on my iPhone. From the iPhone app when I go into “Settings” and “Send test push to all” I hear the notification on my phone. But if I make the Synthetics test fail I see the failed test under “Alerts” but it doesn’t do any kind of push notification to my phone? I added an “Alert Policy” and set it to notify “User”. I am not sure what else to try.

Hi @adam49, if you’re having trouble setting up push notifications to your phone, I would suggest reading through this documentation for doing just that.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks for the reply but I still can’t get it to work. I think my problem is for whatever reason my mobile device will not get listed under (account) > User preferences. ( https://docs.newrelic.com/docs/alerts-applied-intelligence/new-relic-alerts/alert-notifications/notification-channels-control-where-send-alerts#mobile-push ). I have tried logging out and logging back in on both my laptop and mobile device but my mobile device never shows up in the User Preferences?

Hi @adam49 -

I realize that you have not been able to get your device listed inside the User Preferences. I wanted to confirm - did you specifically uninstall and reinstall the app from your mobile device? That is the step that usually clears this up and allows devices to be listed.

If you did uninstall and reinstall the app, we can do some further troubleshooting.

Thanks for the reply. I just tried to uninstall the app from my phone then I installed it again but the same problem persist. Still doesn’t send push notifications nor do I see my phone within the User Preferences? I should note I am currently on a free account. Does push notifications on a phone only work with paid subscriptions? I can’t figure out any other reason why this wouldn’t work… :frowning:

I should note the email notifications are working fine (i.e. when the server goes down I get an email immediately). Within the Notification channel I have both EMAIL and USER setup there. Although the user shows as " default.owner.........etc.........@fakedomain.newrelic.com" which is kind of odd? Is it suppose to show like that?

Hi,
I have the exact same problem. I tried to get test push notifications from the app (Settings -> Push notification devices), but nothing happened.
I’ve deleted my device from ‘Push notification devices’ from the iOS app, then uninstalled the app, after that i’ve installed it again, but the problem persisted.
I too have only the ‘@fakedomain.newrelic.com’ User in the Notification channels.

Do you have any idea how can I get it work?
Thank you

Hi @adam49 & @gergo

It sounds like you’re on our newer user model. We don’t necessarily need to drill into the details here, but the high level info is that, back in mid 2020 we had to built an entirely new user data type, in order to build out integrations with Identity Providers for Automated User Management.

If you created your account after this time you’re automatically on the newer user model. You can tell this by seeing the owner of the account is that fakedomain email address.

We are working hard to bring new users and older original user model users to feature parity. Currently one of the spaces that is not yet at parity is mobile push notifications. Accounts with the newer user model cannot currently use push notifications.

Our Mobile Team see this as a priority and getting this functionality built out for new users is on the very short term roadmap. I don’t have an exact timeline, but based on what I can see, I don’t imagine it will be more than just a few months.

Sorry I don’t have better news, but, rest assured push notifications are coming soon for you.

In the meantime you may be able to customise your notifications through another service to get push notifications.

For example if you use Slack, then by setting up a personal slack channel to receive notifications, you can customise the notifications in Slack settings on a per channel basis, and so that notification channel can be set to always send push notifications to your device.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and confirmation on this. I am sorry to hear that but hopefully you get the push notifications working for the new users soon. This is the main feature I was interested in your services :frowning:

Thanks for your understanding @adam49

I know it’s a frustrating experience, but like I said, I believe this is coming in the short term, so I’m hopeful you will be able to get your notifications very soon.