NRQL alerts - No notification when the data set is empty

Hi NR Team,

I have two services where service ‘A’ calls an endpoint in service ‘B’ on regular bases (20+ times per minutes). Unfortunately I’m not able to monitor service ‘A’ using New Relic, but I can monitor service ‘B’.

To get notified when service ‘A’ is down I tried to create an NRQL Alert condition in service ‘B’. I simply count the number of endpoint calls in service ‘B’ and when it drops to 0, I would like to create an alert. The NRQL query looks like this:

SELECT count(*) from Transaction WHERE appName = ‘my-app-name’ AND request.uri = ‘/my-endpoint’

Threshold type is set to static. I set the when condition to ‘equals 0’ (I also tried ‘below 1’). I also tried to fill data gaps with static 0 value.

When I create the NRQL alert condition the preview chart shows the red violation area where the count is 0, but I do not get any notifications when it happens. I have multiple notification channels set and I get notifications from other conditions from the same policy.

Do you have any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,
Peter

1 Like

@Peter.Benis, hello!

This behavior indicates to me that your account may have New Relic One Streaming Alerts enabled. If that’s the case, you will need to configure a signal loss threshold in order to open a violation when the query stops returning results.

Please let me know if that works for you. If not, I can look further with a link to your alert condition (and only New Relic employees will be able to access this link).

2 Likes

Thanks for your answer! Actually this is exactly what I was looking for! I created a test for the alert condition and I got the notification successfully.