This Level Up post is a follow-up to Relic Solution: What is bam.nr-data.net? New Relic Browser monitoring, in this post, will deep dive into the BAM collector, what endpoints it uses and how data is transmitted to and from the webpage.
Set up DevTools
It’s split up into various endpoints within that domain based on the type of data that’s being sent. To view these endpoints, follow these steps outlined below:
- Open webpage where the Browser agent is installed.
Control+Shift+I(Windows, Linux) to open DevTools on the page.
- In DevTools, click the Network tab.
- Type ‘bam’ into the filter search box as shown here
- The /events/* endpoint is for SPA monitoring data.
- The /1/* endpoint is for basic page load timing data.
- The /jserrors/* endpoint is for AJAX and error monitoring data.
- The /ins/* endpoint is for PageAction events sent to Insights.
- The /resources/* endpoint is for session trace data (note that this will not appear for all page loads, because those are collected for a limited sampling of pages).
For both https and http webpages, New Relic transmits data via https. The following table summarises when the data is transmitted to and from your website.
|Fetch the agent script||Once following page load via https|
|Send page load timing data||Once following page load via https|
|Send session trace data||Every ten seconds when there is activity and a session trace is occurring via https|
|Send SPA data||At the end of an interaction via https|
Check out our Help Centre for more information on the topics in this post:
- Build collections of linked dashboards
- Security for New Relic Browser
- Browser Level-Up Posts
- Insights Level-Up Posts