Relic Solution: Which .NET Agent Should I Use? .NET Framework or .NET Core?

The .NET agent comes in two flavors: .NET Framework and .NET Core. The .Net Framework agent monitors applications that run on the .NET Framework CLR. The .NET Core agent monitors applications that run on the .NET Core Runtime.

Which one should I use?

• If your application runs in a Linux OS, you need the .NET Core agent.

• If you have an ASP.NET Core application, you might need either the .NET Framework or .NET Core agent, depending on your application’s settings. Check the value of the <targetFramework> element in your applications .csproj file.

• If the value of that attribute is netcoreapp2.x (or something similar), you need the .NET Core agent.
    • If the value is net472 (or similar), you need the Framework agent.
  • If your application is a .NET Core service application, use the .NET Core agent.

• If your application is unambiguously built on the classic .NET Framework, you need the .NET Framework agent. Your application or environment may necessitate using a specific version of the .NET Framework agent, especially if the app is built on an older version of the .NET Framework. Check this post to find out which version of the Framework agent you should use for your situation.

Where do I get it?

1 Like